To create meaningful research (by “research” we mean research and creative activities) and professional development opportunities for students who are working on faculty-centered, faculty-mentored research projects.
- Engaging in an intensive and meaningful research experience
- Professional development opportunities throughout the Summer
- Presenting their research on campus and at an appropriate conference
- SURF Students receive a stipend
- Students may be able to forgo less meaningful Summer employment and focus on research
Any student who plans to return to CI in Fall 2018 is eligible to be a Summer SURFer. Graduating Seniors are not eligible.
Summer SURFers will be selected by SURF Faculty Fellows. We will publicize Faculty Fellow projects and allow for applications from any eligible student. However, the choice of Student SURFers is at the sole discretion of the Faculty Fellow.
We expect each Faculty Fellow will work with 2 to 4 SURFers. The number of SURFers is subject to budgetary constraints. We expect to fund no more than 40 students.
Student Roles & Expectations
Students are expected to devote the majority of their effort during the Summer to their faculty-mentored research. Students should avoid additional work responsibilities that conflict with the purposes of the program.
- Attend a meeting with the Faculty Learning Community on April 20th
- Attend the SURF Orientation Program at the Santa Rosa Island Research Station on dates set by SURF faculty
- Be available Monday through Friday, June 1-August 15th to engage in their research project
- Participate fully in the Summer Interdisciplinary Research Learning Community
- Participate in assessment activities associated with Summer SURF
- Present their research in the Fall Faculty-Student Research Showcase (TBD, September/October 2018)
- Participate in a Fall Faculty Orientation session on student research in August
Frequently Asked Questions
When will I get paid?
Students will be paid in three installments at weeks two, six, and ten during the program period.
I am graduating in May 2018. Can I participate?
No. This program is aimed at students with AT LEAST one semester left at CI.
I don’t have any research experience. Should I apply?
Of course! This program is meant to create opportunities to gain experience.
Who chooses the Summer SURF Students?
Students are chosen by the faculty who are running the research projects.
Do I have to be a rising Senior?
No. In fact, choosing students who are Sophomores and Juniors allows students to have more than one student research experience before graduating.
Do I have to pay to go to Santa Rosa Island?
No. The program pays the cost of this trip.
Do I have to go on the Santa Rosa Island trip?
Yes.This trip is integral to the SURF Summer Research Program.
I cannot apply this Summer. Will this program run next year?
Yes, we intend to replicate the program next year.
Do I need to live on campus?
No, students are not required to live on campus. Students who need to stay on campus will be able to arrange accommodation through Campus Housing. We are negotiating for a reduced rate for students.