CI’s third annual Student Summer Research Showcase (SRSS) takes place on Friday, October 16 from 1 – 3 pm in El Dorado Hall. This year the SRSS will feature student presenters who participated in paid off-campus summer research positions (1:00 – 2:00 pm), and a general Research Mixer to continue building the research culture at CI (2:00 – 3:00 pm).
The goal of the Research Mixer is for students seeking research opportunities to learn more about all the possibilities here at CI. Students, faculty research mentors, and senior research students will have an opportunity to interact. The Research mixer involves three 15-minute sessions of conversations between folks doing, or interested in engaging in, research in different areas.
Questions about the Research Mixer can be directed to LSAMP Coordinator Alex Gonzalez email@example.com or (805) 437-3603.
Cosponsored by LSAMP, the SRSC, Project ACCESO, the Free Radicals, and the Biology Clubby
The Student Research Steering Council is sponsoring a roundtable of research-active faculty on Tuesday, October 6th. Aimed at current students, the roundtable will focus on faculty research experiences. Faculty presenters will provide advice about how to get involved in research and how they have benefitted from their research experiences.
- Date: October 6, 2015
- Time: 5.45-7.00
- Place: Anacapa Commons
The objectives of the roundtable are to meet faculty from across the disciplines, learn about their intellectual development, and discover how research fits into their intellectual and teaching lives. Among the questions panelists will address are:
- What’s your background?
- What’s your field?
- What’s at the core of your field? (this is an interdisciplinary group)
- How did you get interested in that field?
- What led you to pursue graduate work?
- How did you get interested in research?
- What role does it play in your intellectual life?
- What does your research center on?
- How did you choose that?
- Did you have mentors? What was their role in your development?
- What advice would you give to students interested in getting involved in research?
Faculty Panel Participants:
- Luis Sánchez (Sociology)
- Kathryn Leonard (Math)
- Sofia Samatar (English)
- Blake Gillespie (Chemistry)
- Ruben Alarcón (Biology)
- Colleen Delaney (Archaeology)
- Julia Ornelas-Higdon (History)